June 9, 2012

{Birth Story: Part 2}


My night nurse, Rachel was awesome. She realized that the day nurse hadn't been making me switch sides every hour to help dilate me quicker so she started doing that & I started progressing much quicker so I was thankful.

Around 11 pm, I was getting so tired and was in hour 12 from the Pitocin and was stuck at an 8. I don't really remember what we were doing but from about 11 pm on, the hours started going so slow. By 12:30 the nurse told me that all that was left was a little rim around my cervix that we needed to break through to get part of the head out so we could call Dr. Smith.

We pushed for a couple hours (till about 2) and the contractions were so painful, that I begged for the anesthesiologist to come in and give me something more than the drip from the epidural. He did and it helped a ton, I asked for about 30 mins to just try and sleep so that I could continue on. Around 3:30 am, I was able to push for another hour before the pain came back worse. I just came to a point where I wasn't sure that I could push anymore. We hadn't called Dr. Smith yet and I was about to just ask for a C-Section because I was so tired and frustrated that I couldn't get that poor baby's head to pop out & Rachel talked to Pierce about preparing himself for a C-Section because she was worried I was just literally stuck.

The hours were all pretty blurry because I was just exhausted. Finally, I pushed enough for the nurse gave us the OK to call Dr. Smith. It was my birthday and it was 5 am. I quickly asked for some more meds at one point because the pain was so bad- I really have no idea how people have natural births! He came in right and drugged me with some great stuff right before Dr. Smith got there. With those meds, I went from just crying to a smile on my face and I was SO ready to push that baby out!

Once the Dr. got there, it felt like it went so quickly- Dr. Smith mentioned that we were shortly coming up on 24 hours since my water had been broken and that at that point they would need to do a C-Section because of the risk of infection. Dr. Smith asked them to get the forceps and vacuum out just in case. But the contractions were coming so quickly and strong and I was able to push about 4 times per contraction but the head was still so tough to get out. All of a sudden, the head was coming and Dr. Smith just grabbed a good hold on it and pulled Emmett out.

The nurse had told me earlier in the evening that they would hand me the baby & if they couldn't get the baby to cry within a few seconds, then she would give the baby over to the respiratory and nursery nurses. She meant it as a precaution but they handed me Emmett, I couldn't even get a glance at him, really because of the position that I was in but Rachel quickly took him away and I knew that he was struggling. Pierce stayed with me as they cleaned me up and Liz and Cheri went over to Emmett and they finally got him to cry. It was such a sweet sweet sound that he was going to be ok. Silent prayer answered. 





Surprisingly, I didn't need an episiotomy or the forceps or vacuum. It was another miracle that I didn't end up in a C-Section. Again, another silent prayer of mine answered.

I was so tired and Emmett was struggling a little bit with his lungs and had so many bruises. They needed to take him to the nursery to be looked at; they quickly let me hold him for a minute and then took him. Pierce didn't even get to hold him before that so I was worried but confident that they knew what they were doing.

 (right after labor- beauty, I know!)



He was born Wednesday May 30th at 6:15 am. 7 pounds 14 ounces, 21 inches of pure happiness and perfection. He had hair the color of Pierce's and big long hands and feet. We were in love instantly.

2 comments:

Mrs. Walker said...

Happy Birthday emmett! So much work, so much love, so much awesomeness!

Nancy said...

Wow! You are a trooper! Glad all is okay. :)