June 8, 2012

{Birth Story Part 1: Emmett Jeffrey Walker}


The past 2 weeks have been crazy! We thought that Sunday we would be induced, we got to the hospital and they did the ultrasound and my amniotic fluid levels had gone up which was awesome but the nurse took my blood pressure and it was really really high. I had been swollen for weeks during this pregnancy and my Dr. had just been waiting for high blood pressure or protein in my urine to show any other indication of preeclampsia but I always had "perfect" blood pressure. So the fact it was really high was shocking.... they took a urine sample and found a trace of protein in my urine. Second bad sign. I also had a headache that morning but I don't know if it was from being tired or what. My Dr wasn't on call on Sunday so they called the Dr who was and he said to send me home on bed rest and to see Dr. Smith on Tuesday when their offices were open. Needless to say, I was frustrated but it looked like they weren't going to induce me anyway and the Dr on call obviously didn't know my history of the swelling and that my mom had preeclampsia with all 4 of her pregnancies like my Dr. did. Pierce was pretty upset with the nurse and we both left frustrated and confused.

I rested the rest of Sunday with intentions of resting Monday as well for Memorial Day. I called my friend Tara and she was going to come and watch a movie with me in bed but that morning I got a call from an unknown number so I didn't answer it. They left a voicemail. Pierce and I listened to it before he went to work and it was Dr. Smith. He said that last night he realized that the hospital never called him with my results and he called them late last night and was really upset to hear that they sent me home with high blood pressure & that I needed to call Labor and Delivery immediately to schedule me to be induced Tuesday morning! What!?!?! I really wasn't planning on having my baby for another few weeks. But I called and they set me up for 7:30 am Tuesday May 29.

My Dr. said that I pretty much didn't need to worry about bed rest because I would be induced that next day, so Pierce didn't go to work so we could run a bunch of errands and clean the house to get ready for our baby! Part of me still thought that Tuesday morning would come and that they would end up sending us home again for some reason but we still prepared for baby Emmett.

Tuesday morning we got up early at like 6:30 (I don't think we slept very much the night before from anticipation) and I couldn't eat breakfast so Pierce said he would fast the whole time with me.... cute guy.

We got to the hospital, they took us to our delivery room and we said once we got the Pitocin started, we would call my mom, sister and Pierce's parents over to come hang out for the day. The nurse checked me and I was only effaced a little bit and dilated to a 1. They warned me it would be a long labor! Dr. Smith came in to break my water and as soon as he did, the baby's heart rate dropped so low and the machine started beeping that horrible beeping noise. The nurse asked me to turn on my side and she gave me some oxygen through a mask. A bunch of nurses came in and then the anesthesiologist came in and started asking me a couple questions. Panic struck in and I just looked at Pierce and his face was pretty scared as well. After a couple minutes, the heart rate went up and they said that they could clear the OR room and we didn't need to go do an emergency C-Section anymore. They can only let the baby go 10 minutes with low oxygen and we went about 5 minutes. A prayer was answered right then that our baby was ok.

We called our posse to come hang out and my mom, Bree & Pierce's parents got there and we let them know about the scare but that everything was ok now. They needed the baby to "recover" for a couple hours so they couldn't start the Pitocin until 11 am so we were guessing the baby would come right before midnight or Wednesday morning- which was my birthday.

(Bree- my personal hair stylist during Labor)

The rest of the day was hanging out, watching a couple movies, my dad and grandparents from Arizona came for a bit to say hi and I got an epidural. That was the majority of how I would describe 11 am to about 7 pm. I slowly was dilating but it was S.L.O.W. I think I was at a 5 by 7 pm when the nurses changed shifts.

4 comments:

Shawn, Ashlee and Addison said...

You are a trooper cous!! And Emmett is BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats again!

Mrs. Walker said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! So glad so many people rallied around you and could support you. You were a rock star!

Helen said...

Thank goodness for epidurals, right?! You were a champ & childbirthin ain't easy!! You rock mama. You are so lucky & I'm so glad you had so many people there for you who love both of you :)

PS I think breanna & I have the same pants! Haha if they're from h&m then they're the ones I have! Excellent taste breanna ;)

Nancy said...

Wow! So crazy! Glad your doctor didn't treat the preeclampsia lightly. It can be dangerous. So glad all are okay!